Senior Officials In Canada Get 1% Pay Rise

By on 14/07/2015 | Updated on 24/09/2020

Senior civil servants in Canada will be given a 1% pay rise over two years and their bonus payments will be linked entirely to performance.

The Association of Professional Executives of the Public Service of Canada (APEX) – the senior civil service association of the Canadian government – told its members last week that the Treasury Board recently approved the pay increase.

It said that executives will receive a 0.5% raise for 2014-15, and another 0.5% increase for 2015-16 to be applied retrospectively, on 1 April of each year.

APEX also told its members that their bonuses, or at-risk pay, will now be based completely on their personal commitments.

For 2015-16, deputy ministers – civil servants in charge of departments – will set performance objectives for executives based on the specific needs of their departments, as well as corporate goals for recruitment and mental health.

Until now, executives’ performance or ‘at-risk pay’ was split with 67% tied to their individual commitments and 33% for corporate goals.

The split began in 2011 when the Conservatives took an unprecedented step of tying 40% of executives’ at-risk pay to the government’s corporate priority of reducing jobs and $5.2bn in operational spending by 2015, the Ottawa Citizen reports. The other 60% was tied to executives’ individual performances.

Once the cuts were implemented, the government reduced the portion tied to corporate goals from 40% to 33% and boosted the share of performance pay for individual performance to 67% for 2013-14.

MPs, whose yearly salary increases are tied to the average wage settlements negotiated in private-sector companies that have more than 500 employees, received a 2.3% pay rise in April this year, the Ottawa Citizen reports.

About Winnie Agbonlahor

Winnie is news editor of Global Government Forum. She previously reported for Civil Service World - the trade magazine for senior UK government officials. Originally from Germany, Winnie first came to the UK in 2006 to study a BA in Journalism & Russian at the University of Sheffield. She is bilingual in English and German, and, after spending an academic year abroad in Russia and reporting for the Moscow Times, Winnie also speaks Russian fluently.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *